5 Reasons Why You Should Take Up SUP This Summer
- IT CAN BE DONE BY PEOPLE OF ALL AGES - A Great Family Activity. According to Wikipedia, Standup Paddleboarding (SUP),is a sport that originated in Hawaii as an offshoot of surfing. In 2013 a report called it the outdoor sporting activity with the most first-time participants of any in the United States that year.
- IT OFFERS A LOW IMPACT WORKOUT. Though it is most definitely a calorie-buster, the workout you get is low-impact thereby decreasing the possibility of tendon or ligament injuries. It's a great cross-training activity as it uses all of your muscles at one point or another. Work off a lot of calories without hurting your joints.
- THE WORKOUT CAN BE OF VARYING INTENSITY. YOU control the intensity of the workout by the location you choose to SUP. If you SUP in the ocean, your workout will be pretty hard-core depending upon the waves that day. If you SUP on any of our lakes or ponds, your workout will be less intense, more relaxing yet STILL an excellent workout
- THE HEALTH BENEFITS ARE NUMEROUS. SUPing is an excellent source of Aerobic and Core-strengthening exercise. The Core work helps with your balance (so important as you get older to prevent you from falling) and your posture (keeping undue pressure off our joints). The aerobic work increases your heart-rate, helping ward off diabetes, strokes and heart-disease.
- IT'S A RELATIVELY INEXPENSIVE SPORT. A board, a paddle, perhaps a life preserver of sorts and you're ready to head out on your own. Time to try it yourself this summer!